Friday, July 18, 2008

A Quick Disclaimer

At the request of my many fans, (all 3 of them, which is more people than watch Curling) I will place a quick disclaimer on what I believe regarding the previous posts. The point of the posts has been to gain an understanding of what the Israelites believed about God in the early beginnings of Israelite religion. I am not saying that I believe what they believed. For example, the Israelites believed in the existance of many gods (according to my interpretation). That is not to say that I believe in many gods. The point is just to show that although Christians assume that the Bible is wholly congruous and agreeing with itself theologically, such is not the case.

The religion of the Israelites, throughout the Bible, is an evolving one. It changes and adapts to the culture in which it is being played out. I will continue to examine this thought in future posts.
As such, to come up with a single theology of God based on the Bible as a whole, is not possible. Thus, to claim a monopoly on the one true theology of God, in my opinion, is not possible. Ergo (a la architect), many of the thoughts that we as Christians hold very dear to our faith may not be as important as we once thought. The theological differences that divide Christians do not really matter (and yes, I include the Catholics in this. I also think there are some Christians in the evangelical church as well) ;-)

I have recently heard the term "
Emerging Church". Some describe it as a great thing - all kinds of churches coming together and working together to build the church. Others describe it as the one world religion led by the antichrist during the end times. Which is a better witness to the world? Bickering amongst ourselves about the trinity and whether or not Mary intercedes for us? Or cooperating and showing unity in order to create a better society? I wonder which God would rather we do?

Am I still a Christian? I think so. This is me being completely honest about what I believe. It is not intended as a judgement on others, but merely as a clarification of where I am at. Ultimately, I am looking to be a Christian that can respect others opinions and interpretations of the Bible (as it is open to interpretation) and to have my opinion respected by others. I want to be able to be honest about what I really do think regarding the flood and how I interpret that passage, without being branded a heretic and have others worried about me and praying for my deliverance from this heresy. My concern right now, is that I don't know if I could find a church that would accept me for me, where I'm at.

Teaser for the next post. "Serpant: Satan or Talking Reptile?"

3 comments:

Beverly Jane said...

Hi Trevor,
Following Christ implies that the follower is going somewhere...journeying alongside. I think you are on a journey, along with every other fallible, frail, unique and precious believer around.
Your journey looks vastly different than mine, Colleen's, and everyone else's for that matter.
That's part of the mystery here isn't it? God is big enough to care about us all...in the middle of our questions, and doubts, and faith building experiences.
I love you Trevor and hope with all that's in me that your journey draws you closer to the only One with the answers you seek.
Always,
Beverly

Leanne said...

"Which is a better witness to the world? Bickering amongst ourselves about the trinity and whether or not Mary intercedes for us? Or cooperating and showing unity in order to create a better society? I wonder which God would rather we do?"
I just LOVE this. Why why why do we let ourselves get hung up on petty arguments? I think its high time that our insistance on being right be replaced by an insistance for genuine love, respect and self-giving.
I think it is just SO refreshing that you are willing to share all of this with us. Your comments validate a lot of my own thoughts and questions. In fact this is the very reason that I don't have a church right now either. So please keep sharing openly!!!!

Anonymous said...

hey Trev,

Good work! I love the idea that we (me included) like to bicker about what seems to be non-essentials to our faith. The essentials about how God wants to interact with us and all He really wants is us to love Him and each other seem to have been forgotten, by me as well! I would say that you are a Christian, perhaps in the stongest sense of the word. Why? Because you have demonstated love and acceptance to me and my family in Christ in so many ways over the years. Thank you for accepting me. How could I be any other way about you? I cannot. You and Colleen are two of the greatest Christians I know because of the way you live, and how you treat others!

Casey